How to Get in Touch with Your Emotions When You Feel Numb
Do you ever get a feeling of “numbness?” Does it feel like you can’t fully get in touch with your emotions, or feel anything at all?
It can be a scary sensation since our emotions drive so much of who we are and what we do. In fact, when you listen to your emotions, you can start to use them as a navigation system to make more informed choices in your life.
So, what happens when you feel numb? It can start to feel like your emotions just disappeared, which makes the ability to navigate life harder.
Thankfully, it’s not impossible to get in touch with your emotions again. When you do, you can start to feel more alive and more like yourself.
Symptoms of Emotional Numbness
Emotional numbness occurs when you can’t feel anything. You don’t feel happy, angry, sad, etc. You might even think nothing in your life affects you one way or another.
There are many potential causes of this kind of numbing sensation. Many distractions such as social media, television, and substance abuse can cause these problems.
Sometimes, ignoring your feelings for a long period of time can also cause numbness. For example, if you’ve been in an overwhelmingly painful situation for a long time, you may eventually become “numb” to that pain.
Some of the most common symptoms of emotional numbness include:
- Fatigue or decline in energy levels
- Lack of sensitivity to others’ emotions
- Physical illness
- Constant tension
The Importance of Getting in Touch With Your Emotions
If you’ve been numb to your emotions for a while, you could be ignoring a larger problem. Your mind and body might be feeling so numb because you’re actually in a lot of emotional pain.
Getting in touch with your emotions after a period of feeling numb can be overwhelming. It may even cause a bit of anxiety, depending on how long you’ve ignored those feelings.
Yet, there are some things you can do to make the process easier.
How to Get in Touch With Your Emotions Again
Struggling with emotional numbness can make it hard to feel motivated to do anything. But, getting in touch with those emotions once more can make a big difference in how you feel and how you live your life.
Put some of these strategies into practice. It’s okay if you feel a little anxious about them at first. Remind yourself that getting back into your own emotions can take time, and it’s normal to feel a little overwhelmed.
Do your best to continue moving forward with these ideas:
- Create a plan for yourself. Develop a strategy that allows you to emotionally cleanse yourself and let everything come to the surface. This can include journaling, meditation, and even things like candles or incense.
- Give yourself a safe space. As you start to become in tune with your emotions once again, it can be scary and overwhelming. Make sure you have a place in your home where you can go if you start to feel fearful or anxious. Having this safe space will encourage you to keep going, knowing that you can feel secure if things start to unravel.
- Keep a support system around you through the process. They can help you to become more in touch with your emotions. But, they can also make sure you don’t go back into that state of “numbness,” no matter how tempting it might be.
Finally, if you’re really struggling and you feel numb, seek professional help.
If you’re tired of feeling numb to your own emotions, feel free to contact us. I’m here to help and can connect you with your emotions again in a safe and effective way.